2013 is finally here and all this sewing for this year has finally finished on time. This beautiful gown took me 6 months work to sew up. I must firstly thank Bernadette Thomas from www.needlewitch.com.au for her expert tuition. As everyone knows who sews you can't fit yourself. I would have struggled with the fitting and changing the pattern without her help. I have yet to know enough how to change flat patterns to fit me correctly.
This wonderful dress is made out of a blue sari that was given to me as a present. I am trying to be a good textile artist and use what is in my stash. We had to underline it with cotton as the sari silk didn't have the body that a duponi silk does.
I used http://www.lafnmoon.com/product_p/p104.htm view B as the intent was to get a gown close to what was typical for a society lady living in New South Wales in 1913. Bearing in mind I am not a pattern maker, so I have to use what patterns are commercially available given the time constraints I worked with. I made the white high collar blouse out of corded lace which I bought some time ago from Pitt Trading in Sydney.
To give my costume the correct style lines I also made the under bust corset by Laughing Moon http://www.lafnmoon.com/product_p/p113.htm in a baby blue brocade.
This costume also has a gorgeous hat that I made from scratch. It has a velvet crown and lace brim. That is decorated with feathers and a bow decorations. I know it is a lovely ensemble and I am sure I will get lots of requests to make hat and gown for people. While I would love to I do not know how to fit patterns to make clothes for other people. Hats I would attempt but with university assignments to do and I doubt I would have the time. So thank you for your complements and perhaps you will get to see me in it around Canberra during 1913.